Academy Award winning actress, MARLEE MATLIN spent some time with us last week talking about our favorite subject, Chocolate. Marlee will be making her debut on THE L WORD this Sunday, January 28 on Showtime. And then she will be signing the National Anthem for Billy Joel at the Super Bowl next Sunday, February 4.
1. If chocolate had no calories, how many times a day would you indulge?
Are you kidding? They would call me the Queen of Chocolate. I would never stop eating it. I crave chocolate all the time! I especially crave it when I have a great sushi dinner. It probably has to do with balancing the savory with the sweet (or bittersweet!).
2. Who is your favorite friend to share chocolate with?
My husband. On his birthday which is the day before Valentine’s Day.
3. What was the last piece of chocolate that you ate and when?
A cup (or two, or three) of the creamiest, thickest, richest hot chocolate while shopping at Williams-Sonoma.
4. Favorite Hollywood/LA restaurant chocolate dessert?
I had a most fabulous chocolate fountain for my fortieth birthday that my business partner got for me from a small Armenian restaurant in downtown Los Angeles. It just goes to prove that it’s not where you get the chocolate but how good the chocolate is. And as I said above, I did recently have a cup of the richest hot chocolate at of all places – Williams-Sonoma. I couldn’t believe how wonderful it was. I was like one of those old people at Costco who keeps going back for seconds at the food sample stands. I kept going back for more hot chocolate! It was so tacky but oh so good!
5. Favorite place to buy chocolate in LA? In the world?
When I’m up filming the L Word in Vancouver, I always stop by the Godiva shop around the corner from my hotel. They have all the new dark chocolates and I can’t get enough. I love to give birthday gifts of Godiva and Cristal and it never fails.
6. Do you have a chocolate (stash) hiding place? What chocolate is hidden there right now?
Hiding place? It’s not hidden, it’s right there in plain sight. And as for what’s there now? The cupboards are bare my dear; I’ve already eaten it all!
7. If chocolate was a song, who would sing it?
Billy Joel. "I Love You Just the Way You Are."
8. What would taste better covered in chocolate?
Can I reverse that? Can I say that I go crazy at the thought of my husband covered in chocolate? Ha!
9. If you had 50 pounds of your favorite chocolate on your desert island, who would you want there to share it with?
See answer to #8
10. How and when did chocolate change your life?
I realize this may be a family web site, but I hope I’m not too blunt when I say that it was when I found out that it was one of the few things that helped get me through my "time of the month." That’s when chocolate tastes the best!